Company Logo

Prince Albert

 -  1953 -1997

Religious Entity: Anglican

On July 14, 1953, the Lac La Ronge residential school changed its name to the Prince Albert residential school. The school was located in what was originally meant to be a temporary location in a former military barracks in the city of Prince Albert. Instead, the Prince Albert residential school grew to be the second-largest residential school in Canada. At the highest level of enrolment during the 1953-1954 school year, the school accommodated 480 residents. In 1969, the federal government took over the administration of the school. In 1985, the responsibility for the operation of the residential school was transferred to the Prince Albert District Chiefs Management Company Ltd. and the residential school complex became known as the Prince Albert Indian Student Education Centre (PAISEC) until is closure in 1997.

Group of people at Prince Albert School
group of people in front of Prince Albert school
group of people outside of Prince Albert in uniforms

Remembering the Following Students:

NameDate of Death (Year/Month/Day)
Agnes Sinclairca. 1923-01-01 – 1923-03-31
Amy Chiefca. 1941
Conrad Ahenakew1937-10-13 – 1937-10-19
Francis Pittca. 1936
Jerry Ballentyneca. 1949
Lily Chiefca. 1936
Mary Jane Brown1948-05-02
Paul Lewisca. 1934
Priscilla Beatrice Bear1937-11-30
Roy King1936-04-09
Virginia Bird1927-02-19