Company Logo

Portage la Prairie

 -  1891 -1975

Religious Entity: Presbyterian United Church

The efforts of the women of the Knox Presbyterian Church in Portage la Prairie were largely responsible for the opening of the Portage la Prairie School, first as a day school in 1886. They were concerned about the destitute circumstances of the nearby Sioux band. They began operating the boarding school the following year. A new school was opened in 1925. From the mid-1950s onwards, the school primarily served as a residence for students who were attending local schools. The school closed in 1975 and the school lands were turned over to the Long Plains First Nation.

Group of three people painting wall
Group of students posed for photo outside from Portage la Prairie school
Group of students posed for photo from Portage la Prairie school

Remembering the Following Students:

NameDate of Death (Year/Month/Day)
Bernadette Hart1974-01-08
Edith Chaske1912-01-31
Eric Meham1974-01-01
James Hobson1941-01-01
Rupert Tanner1940-08-15