Company Logo

Onion Lake (Saint Barnabus; St. Alban’s)

 -  1894-1951

Religious Entity: Anglican

The Onion Lake Anglican residential school opened on July 1, 1894 on the Makaoo’s Reserve No. 120 in Saskatchewan. In 1925, the residential school relocated to the Onion Lake Reserve.  The school was destroyed by fire in December 1943.  In February 1944, it reopened in Prince Albert, Saskatchewan as the St. Alban’s residential school in the former St. George’s college building. Male and female students initially resided together, however in 1948, the boys moved into the former military barracks that was now the Lac La Ronge residential school and joined the girls at St. Alban’s for classroom instruction only. On July 1, 1951, St. Alban’s residential school closed and the girls were accommodated with the boys at the Lac La Ronge residential school, later renamed Prince Albert residential school in 1953.