St. Phillip’s School at Fort George, QC opened in 1933. Because of its remote location, food supply was a problem and fresh water was often difficult to obtain. The school was destroyed by fire in 1943. Although it was rebuilt, by the mid-1950s it was in deplorable shape and overcrowded. In 1969 the federal government took over the administration of the school operating it as a residence for students attending local schools. By 1973, it had an all-Aboriginal staff.
Remembering the Following Students:
|Name||Date of Death (Year/Month/Day)|
|Clifford John Bearskin||1940-02-29|
|David Utchenayea||1940-06-02 – 1940-06-08|
|Rebekah Agnes Sealhunter||1942-06-27|
|Samson Nine Oclock||1940-06-19|