Methodist missionaries opened a day school at Coqualeetza, BC in 1886. The following year, they added a residence for boarding students. A new school, built in 1889, burned down in 1891. Starting in the 1920s, the school began teaching Aboriginal handicrafts. The principal, in an effort to decrease the institutional nature of the school, introduced cottages for younger students and semi-private rooms for older students in the 1930s. When the school closed in 1940, students were transferred to the Alberni school and the school building became the Coqualeetza Indian Hospital.
Remembering the Following Students:
|Name||Date of Death (Year/Month/Day)|
|Abel Ward||ca. 1936|
|Annie Charley Short||1898-10-23|
|Cyril Edgar||1937-10-01 – 1937-12-31|
|Andrew F. Johnston||1902-04-30|
|Susan D. John||1901-06-22|